By Paul Brookman

The Smith Recycling Milton Keynes Lightning’s hopes of success in their first ever visit to Dundee Stars were dashed as they went down 5-1 on Sunday.

Stars who included former Lightning forward Jordan Cownie in their line up led by a single goal at the end of the first period before effectively sealing victory with two goals in as many second period minutes to end 4-1 in front at the end of that session.

Man of the match against Guildford Flames the previous evening Carl Hudson was consigned to the sin bin for two minutes on only 24 seconds for charging. That penalty had hardly expired when Johan Andersson was sidelined for Stars on a slashing call.

Neither penalty produced any goals but Stars did produce a couple of good chances which Przemy Odrobny – back in the Milton Keynes net – dealt with. Ashley Tait then missed the target before Kevin King saw his effort saved.

The hosts broke the deadlock on 10mins 25secs when Tyler Brickler set up Joey de Concilys to defeat Odrobny.

However the lead was brief as Emerson Hrynyk was sin binned 23 seconds later for tripping and it took Lightning all of 19 seconds to level through King, assisted by Paul Phillips and Denny Kearney.

When Stars were penalised for having too many men a couple of minutes later the visitors saw their efforts on goal easily saved by goalie Travis Fullerton.

Brickler edged Stars in front on 18mins 20secs after being left in space to finish off a well worked goal – the move also involving Marc-Olivier Mimar and Taylor Dickin.

The middle session produced few early chances of note with Ben Foster denied from inside the crease ahead of Stars’ Jimmy Jensen being penalised for tripping after 29mins 37secs. On the powerplay Fullerton stood tall in the Stars net with Lightning unlucky on a couple of rebounds.

The game started to edge away from Lightning on 34mins 8secs while Guillaume Doucet was in the sin bin for slashing – Stars capitalising with the third goal – a second strike by Brickler, aided by Cownie and Gabriel Lévesque.

Doucet was back in the penalty box early in the 35th minute – together with Stars’ Adam Harding – both for roughing and at four on one four it was the home team who made the most of the extra space on the ice with de Concilys registering his second of the night to give the Scots a 4-1 lead at the break.

Lightning began the third session on a powerplay left over from the dying seconds of the middle stanza but they could not find a way back into the game.

There was a further man advantage spell for Pete Russell’s men in the 47th as Patrick Lee was given two minutes for slashing but there was little to trouble Fullerton in the Stars goal.

Two quick penalties on Lightning – Matt Nickerson for holding and Kyle Essery for hooking gave Stars a two man powerplay but the visitors were able to deny them this time.

They were however unable to stop Stars scoring their fifth after Francis Verreault-Paul was thrown out for fighting in the 56mins 54secs – his opponent, de Concilys escaping punishment.

Jensen bagged the goal from Andersson’s assist on 57mins 22secs before the game ended with Nickerson penalised for boarding, leading to an abuse of the officials call on Tait.

Man of the match: Paul Phillips.

NEXT HOME GAME: Lightning v Manchester Storm, 7pm Saturday 7 October – tickets from 01908 540020 or online at